Sunday, September 25, 2011

Project

I'm getting everything settled in the house. I officially have no more boxes sitting around which makes my OCD feel much better!  I finally have pictures on the walls, and have finished most of the small projects on my list.  When I come home after work I finally don't feel like I have a million things to do.  It's starting to feel like home.  I wanted to post pictures of my latest project.  I saw a picture on pinterest.com (If you haven't heard of pinterest, check it out - it's my new favorite thing) where an old window was used as a picture frame.  I happened to find an old window in my basement left from the previous owners that I knew would be perfect.

The window had a glossy finish on it so I sanded the window down.  Then I primed the window with primer spray paint I had.  I knew I wanted to hang the new frame in my living room, so I went to the paint store and picked out a turquoise shade of paint.  However, when I applied the first coat it came out looking very bright Tiffany blue.  While I love the little blue boxes with the white bows, it was too bright for my living room.  So I went back to Ace the helpful place hardware store and asked if they would darken my paint.  It took a few tries, but it finally looked the right shade


I was going for an antique old finish so I took a piece of sandpaper and scratched the finish up.  The window weighs 12 pounds (yes I weighed it on my bathroom scale).  I was worried about it being too heavy for the wall, so I attached four picture hooks on the back.  My stud finder has proven to be a piece of junk so I think four hooks is enough to ensure maybe I hit one stud and the weight is evenly distributed to not pull the drywall down.   Then I picked three of my favorite pictures I've taken and had them printed as 11x14 posters.  The frame doesn't have a glass backing so I taped the pictures down.  I'm going to have to find a new solution to attach the pictures, because after a week the tape is peeling back. Otherwise, I LOVE how it turned out.  It's my favorite part of my living room now.  What do you think??
My next projects include: finding/making something to put in my entryway, painting the ugly gold door knobs throughout my house, painting or finding new cabinet knobs for my kitchen (I painted the knobs in the bathroom and they look great!), and lastly I need to decide what colors to paint my bedroom, guest bedroom, and dining room.  So maybe I have a lot of projects but I've got a long winter ahead of me!

No comments: